Friday 8 June 2012

Movie Review: Dr. Seuss's The Lorax (2012)


Rating: PG
IMDB Rating: 6.5/10

The plot according to IMDB:
A 12-year-old boy searches for the one thing that will enable him to win the affection of the girl of his dreams. To find it he must discover the story of the Lorax, the grumpy yet charming creature who fights to protect his world.

I wanted to love this. I wanted to find it cute and adorable and charming and very reminiscent of the Dr. Seuss books I used to love. Unfortunately, it lacked the spark and attention that I think it deserved. I’ve read the Lorax (granted, many years ago), and I don’t recall it being as… massively Hollywood. Yes, I get that Hollywood made this. But I don’t get that they had to push Taylor Swift and Zac Efron’s voice on us.

Also in the original story, they didn’t really explore the dangers of consumerism and the state of our un-environmental society. Yep, I get that the Lorax is a story about trees and saving them. I didn’t know it was a story about a town full of complete assholes. It got too preachy for me, and I’ve seen a ton of children’s movies. I know how message-y they can get. This went overboard.

Also I think it focused too much on the town (and the romance, while we’re at it), and not on the Lorax or the trees themselves. Leave it to Hollywood to turn a simple story into a mirage of themes and morals and Zac Efron and blahblah. I don’t want any more Zac Efron if I can help it!


Highlights:
  • A very cute Lorax
  • I liked the background story. I’ve imagined it since I saw the trailer, and it was super cute
  • Kept the rhyme and rhythm of the original story

Lowlights:
  • Became too background-story-centered instead of Lorax-centered
  • Focused too much on the dynamics of the characters and not enough on the Lorax!

My Verdict:
5.8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment