Monday 4 June 2012

Movie Review: Snow White and the Huntsman (2012)


Rating: PG-13
IMDB Rating: 6.9/10

The plot according to IMDB:
In a twist to the fairy tale, the Huntsman ordered to take Snow White into the woods to be killed winds up becoming her protector and mentor in a quest to vanquish the Evil Queen.

Honestly, I felt like the entire purpose of the film was to showcase Kirsten Stewart’s acting ability. Which, I’m still not convinced she has. More than anything, I got a little tired looking at her ‘oh, my goodness that is a surprise’ face. After being typecast as playing Bella, I think everyone’s sick of her a little bit. So I kind of wanted a break from the same old looks. The same old quiet and uncomfortable voice. That little awkward walk she has…

Charlize Theron was impressive, and did a very good job portraying a crazy and demented witch. I appreciated the cinematography, There were very magical-looking scenes… though not many of them.

I enjoy fairytales. I like the old Grimm Fairytales, and I used to read them over and over again. They’ve lost their magic these days, though. They’re not as raw, not as violent, not as horrible, and they’ve lost that epically depressing ending that a lot of the fairytales had. This is a nice and dark adaptation of Snow White, but I think it lacked a little bit of gutsiness.

Highlights:
  • Some beautiful scenes
  • Charlize Theron is a good actress
  • Chris Hemsworth
  • It’s about fairytales!
  • Pretty decent battlescenes

Lowlights:
  • Kirsten Stewart. I’m still not convinced by her…

My Verdict:
I probably won't see this again. But I don't regret seeing it... the once. It had action, it satisfied the child within, and it does give Snow White more attitude than I've seen in other adaptations.

7.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment