Saturday 23 June 2012

Pet Peeve of the Day

People who seem to deliberately drive badly with Baby on Board signs.

I could just leave it there, and it seems pretty self-explanatory. But let me elaborate, because I'm frustrated.

I know I have road rage. But my rage does not come in the form of honking. Or speeding excessively. Or fingering people. My rage comes in the form of getting flustered and angry in the privacy of my own space. I talk to myself, shake my head, curse and smack my steering wheel.

What drives me up the wall is when people make silly driving decisions and then seem to show their anger toward others for not yielding to them.

For example, I was driving home last night. I was about 3 blocks from my house, so I'd consider it a very familiar area. I know the hidden driveways, the blindspots behind the trees, and the narrow spots in the lane. Yes, I saw this car about 50 feet in front of me that was trying to maneuver a U-turn. Normally, this isn't a big deal. Normally, people get their U-turn over with as soon as possible and move on. However, I was getting closer and this van was still doing its thing. I stopped, and waited.

I didn't honk. I didn't do anything but look out my window and watched the van.

So when the van (with too many Baby on Board and Children on Board and Toddler on Board signs) finally got out of the U-turn and pulled over at the side of the road, they finger me as I drive past.

I think I just don't get it. What did I do? Did I look a certain way? Did my driving body language somehow set these people off? Or are they like this all the time and just finger any ole person who stops and waits for them?

I don't know! And that's why I'm frustrated.

Plus, I wanted to be petty. I wanted to be mean and ask them if they patted their children's head with that finger. Who acts that crass with children in the car? I'm not an expert in parenting. But I know there are enough monsters out there without these bad influences influencing them worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment