Tuesday 15 January 2013

Pet Peeve of the Day

Gift Cards

Thanks for this generic gift. Thanks for saying 'hey, I'm not really sure what kind of things you're into so here's money in the form of a slightly more personal form.'

Thanks for completely limiting me to the type of things I can get for myself.

Understood, you could get me a general gift card to a mall. But usually this isn't the case. Usually it's a gift card to a store. Starbucks. Mcdonalds. Thanks for thinking I'm a coffee-addicted fatty.

Seriously though, the weeks after Christmas I see all the people in the malls using up their gift cards. You'll see the desperation, that moment of anxiety when they realize they don't really like much in the store but they feel the pressure of having to use the gift card.

After all, 'treat like cash,' right?

But no, not treat like cash. Cash I can use anywhere. Cash can be traded and exchanged. I can't give a store my gift card and ask for cash. They'd know instantly I'd take that cash elsewhere. So more like 'PLEASE think of me like cash. But I'm a poor substitute. By the way here's 50 restrictions I have.'

So let's be considerate. Try for an original gift. Even if you got me a sweater from a store I never would've shopped from... at least I know you made an effort. Yes, there are people out there that are so picky and particular that I'd never buy a gift but opt for a gift card instead.

But those people are few and far between.

I know this all comes off as being very first-world-problems. But realize that if you choose to give someone a gift (thank you, your thoughts have been appreciated), try to think about that person. Their style. Their likes and dislikes. Their budget (if I have to pitch in lots of my own money just to afford one item from this store I'll cry...), and their pragmatism.

No comments:

Post a Comment