Sunday 31 March 2013

Concert Review: Josh Ritter

I've gone to see Josh Ritter twice now in concert. And I think everyone should go see him given the chance.

They don't play him on any radio stations that I know of. Sometimes they'll play his songs in Starbucks, but outside of that I haven't ever heard his music.
His new album!
What prompted me to listen to his songs? I don't know what started it. Mostly what I love about his music is that he's a poet. He's a writer that can sing and play guitar.

His lyrics are magical and tell a story. His live concerts are those stories magnified and amplified by 100%.

I've been to a fair amount of concerts where the songs sound identical to the ones on the album. You can sing the notes as you know them and you can't go wrong. Not so at a Josh Ritter show. He'll speed things up. He'll slow things down. He'll turn off all the lights and play with no amps, no drums, not even the mic is turned on.

Then he'll come out with trumpets and a cello and blow your socks off. Plus he is adorable. He cannot stop smiling.
That smile...
He appreciates a crowd, and shows it. I'm sick of jaded rock stars that never say thank you, that flip off the crowd, that don't smile.

Josh has a smiling disorder. He cannot stop jumping, giggling, laughing, smiling, playing, writing. I hope he never stops.

The show was (once again) amazing. I am grateful that his shows never cost too much money (the standard $60 for a concert is pricey when you see 4-5 shows a year). Hopefully whenever his next album comes out I'll be loaded and able to buy tickets for myself and my friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment