Tuesday 12 March 2013

Thought of the Day

Haircuts are a ripoff. Completely.

I haven't had someone else cut my hair for about 5-6 years. This isn't because I'm cheap (I am though), but mainly because I don't think I should pay someone else to do something I can do myself.


I'm not saying I can do a fantastic job that's comparable to a 'stylist,' but I can do well enough that my hair looks good (if not great) and I've saved myself $100.

That's what bugs me. How ridiculously expensive and overpriced haircuts are. I've been to a few expensive salons to check out their prices and most of them quote about $75-100 for my long hair.

They're cutting it off, not giving me new hair... I don't understand what costs so much.

I don't mean to undermine the effort and time these stylists go through... plus the years of school and training. But honestly some stylists are awful. They never listen, they make mistakes, and they overcharge.

Once time I asked my friend (who also works at a salon) to cut my hair. She charged me about $20. That I am absolutely a fan of. Way to go for that deal. I would never actually go into her salon when she's working and pay 300% or more for the same haircut.

So why is it that people still convince themselves they have to spend that much on something that just grows out anyway? What's the worst that can happen if I cut my own hair? I mess up and it'll grow back.

Everyone buy a pair of great haircutting scissors. They're affordable and will last you forever. My pair were made in Italy and have lasted my mother and me over 30 years. And know what? My hair is still here. Still going strong.


I will say if you're too lazy to cut your own hair and enjoy the experience of having someone else wash and massage your head, then power to you too!

No comments:

Post a Comment