Wednesday 19 September 2012

Thought of the Day

A while back I read an article about what to do after a car accident.

In this article, the author proposed that no one ever say they are sorry after an accident. Even if you know you're at fault, hold your tongue. Just get the license plate, phone number, insurance information, and move along.

Apparently by saying 'I'm sorry,' it indicates that the blame falls upon you. Well... what if it does? What if you know that you rear-ended someone? You knew there wasn't enough time to make that left turn? That you shouldn't have been turning left out of the right lane? That there were no u-turns allowed?

Nope, according to this article, you don't say you're sorry.

This idea sparked a debate between my dad and I. I am an advocate for apologies GALORE if I know I've done something wrong. But I am a very impassioned person, and I am apologetic by nature.
My father, however, believes that I am naive. He thinks that people take advantage of those 'sorry's.' And maybe they do. Maybe I'd be taken to court and subjected to all types of criticisms.

But you know what? I'd rather be persecuted for saying I'm sorry and taking the blame, than be thought an asshole, saying nothing, and MAYBE getting off scot-free. My conscience couldn't handle knowing I did something wrong and I got away with it.

I don't know how my moral compass compass compares with others, how could I? But I believe in the bottom of my soul that I'd say sorry even if it wasn't my fault.

No, saying I'm sorry doesn't mean I'm guilty. Well, I may feel guilty. Feel guilty for being at the wrong place at the wrong time. Maybe I'm sorry for what has happened. I'm sorry that someone could have gotten hurt. Sorry that it's going to be a big hassle and trouble for everyone involved.

Sorry doesn't have to mean guilt. And guilt doesn't automatically mean wrongness. Let's start looking up what these words mean and start realizing that sometimes saying 'sorry' does something very simple. And that simple is good.

It makes someone feel better, and makes you seem less heartless.

No comments:

Post a Comment