Tuesday 20 March 2012

In Memoriam of... Grandpop

This morning I found out my grandfather on my mother's side has passed away. It wasn't entirely unexpected, or a surprise. He has been in the hospital a few times over the last few years, but we knew this time he wasn't responding to treatment. He is 92 years old and such a tough ol man... it's sad to know he's gone.

I wasn't close to him. My family on my father's side is not close. They do not call often, they email sometimes... but they have never been emotionally charged people. Despite this distance, I can feel the loss.

I've only been to two funerals in my lifetime, and both of those have been for my grandparents. Grandpop was my last living grandparent, so it's upsetting to know he's gone.

Regardless of religious or spiritual or personal beliefs, I believe he's in a place where he's much happier and better off. He was always a very healthy man... ate his veggies, exercised, and was walking without a cane even until he was about 91.

I'll miss my grandpop, and I hope he's resting peacefully and proud of his sons and daughters...

No comments:

Post a Comment