Wednesday 28 March 2012

Movie Review: Hugo (2011)


Rating: PG
IMDB Rating: 7.9/10

I decided to review one of the movies that I watched on Shaw on Demand. Even though I didn’t get the full theatre experience with this movie, I enjoyed it enough to say a good word about it.


This came out around Christmastime, and it is a perfect Christmas movie. The cinematography is incredible… it almost looks as if the entire movie has been airbrushed with CGI. Every colour is super saturated and the sweeping zooms and panning is gorgeous. Just seeing this movie is beautiful in itself.

The acting is great, considering the main actor is quite young (born in 1997). I cannot believe Chloe Moretz is so gorgeous already… she’s born in the same year but she looks very mature for her age. She was a hoot… she was witty and intelligent and courageous. 


Highlights:
  • Beautiful to look at
  • A-list cast of talented actors
  • Chloe Moretz
  • Cute story and uplifting plot
  • Good family movie
  • Great reference to film history

Lowlights:
  • Not too much ‘action,’ but very story-oriented plot

My Verdict:
I watched this with my parents and they both loved it. My mom got pretty emotional at some points, so that always makes a movie a hit for her. It wasn’t super entertaining, The movie does seem targeted toward younger audiences, but I enjoyed its ‘cuteness.’ I also really appreciated the film references. I took film in high school and university and have always loved the history of film. This is a great homage to it!
7.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment