Friday 17 January 2014

Why are vets so expensive?

I just spent $50 on eye ointment. It's a 10g tube.

How am I paying $5 for a gram of product. How.

I blame it on my cat's cuteness. She is overwhelmingly adorable. I look at her eyes, see them watering, and somehow suck it up and pay this ridiculous fee.

Not to mention it costs $60 each visit as a consultation fee. This only involves them checking her weight and teeth.

Then 'to be safe' they did the corneal scan. $40.

Feeling much poorer, you'd think I'd feel better when I applied this ointment to my baby's eye and she got all better. But you see the vet gave me the ointment, not the eye drops. I didn't think there was a huge difference at the time, but I am an idiot.

Drops can be dropped from a distance. Say, one claw swipe away. Ointment needs to be applied about 3cm away from the eye. This involves having to force her eye open while trying to squeeze this finicky (and minuscule) tube with my other hand.

Somehow this ointment is the stickiest shit on the planet. It curls around the applicator tip, and slides right off her eye. Thanks.

By the way, you should see the bandaids all over my hands. Because no one wants someone messing with their eyeballs!

So I suck it up. I go back. And it's another $60 consult. And they tell me the drops are MORE expensive. More expensive than $5 a gram? YES.

My wallet is crying.

No comments:

Post a Comment