Wednesday 6 June 2012

Movie Review: American Reunion (2012)


Rating: R
IMDB Rating: 7.4/10

I saw this because I felt obligated to. I have seen all the American Pie movies (including Band Camp), so I needed to know how they were going to wrap things up. No, I didn’t really want to see this (overt sexuality isn’t really my thing), but I figured it isn’t going to rot too many of my brain cells.

The plot according to IMDB:
Jim, Michelle, Stifler, and their friends reunite in East Great Falls, Michigan for their high school reunion.

This was funny, but a little too try-hard funny. I got the impression the whole time that they knew it was going to be the end of an era, so they had to pull out all the stops. The obligatory masturbation scene. The necessary boobie scene. The hot chicks, the dumbass Stifler doing his dumbass thing… but it had its laughs. The director did leave enough open at the conclusion for the potential of another sequel… but at this point I really don’t think its necessary.

Highlights:
  • Same old cast to bring back funny inside jokes
  • Funny cameos and surprise guests
  • Disgusting sex jokes

Lowlights:
  • Same old antics. No real deep character development
  • Not really very valuable in terms of cinematography, no pushing the boundaries

My Verdict:
I won’t ever watch this again. In fact, I’ve never seen any of the American Pie movies twice (except for the few seconds I’ve flipped by them on TV). It’s just the type of experience that people discuss, the type of ‘oh my gosh that as disgusting, can you believe they DID that?’ type of discussion. But no, not really my cup of tea.
6.8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment