Tuesday 5 June 2012

Movie Review: The Raid - Redemption (2011)


Rating: R
IMDB Rating: 8.2/10

The plot according to IMDB:
A SWAT team becomes trapped in a tenement run by a ruthless mobster and his army of killers and thugs.

I loved this. It is brainless. Brutal. Disgusting. Raw.

Yes, there are subtitles. Yes, this is like a video game. As my significant other mentioned, this is the perfect theme for a video game. You beat killers and thugs on each floor, to get to the mob boss on the top level. You beat him, you beat the game. Same premise. There are extremely graphic and violent martial arts scenes… at one point I did grimace pretty hard (and I’d say my tolerance for violence is quite high). The choreography for this film is incredible… I grew up on Jackie Chan and Bruce Lee, so I get impressed when I see well-choreographed fight scenes. There are plenty of those to go around!

Highlights:
  • Great fight scenes
  • Stylistically acted
  • Unique and different martial arts
  • Has characters I care about

Lowlights:
  • The idea isn’t very profound or particularly special
  • Plot isn’t too complex or deep

My Verdict:
I’m going to see this again as soon as I can convince someone to watch it with me. I want to share this film with as many people as I can. For good brainless violence, this is a great film.
8.8/10

1 comment: