Tuesday 12 June 2012

Movie Review: Prometheus (2012)


Rating: R
IMDB Rating: 7.7/10

The plot according to IMDB:
A team of explorers discover a clue to the origins of mankind on Earth, leading them on a journey to the darkest corners of the universe. There, they must fight a terrifying battle to save the future of the human race.

I saw this last night with my other half, and had a jolly fun date night. I got excited for this movie when the first trailer came out. That was when Michael Fassbender was getting all the great feedback and gaining popularity. Now, I haven’t seen the original Alien movie since I was around 8 years old. I will go back and rewatch it, because I feel like Prometheus and Alien should be chunked together.

However, Prometheus is NOT a direct prequel to Alien. It’s the same universe, same-ish timeline, and similar enemies and technology… but the plots are NOT intertwined. So I approached this as a brand new movie in a brand new franchise.

Noomi Rapace stars in this, and she goes through a lot. Poor girl. Michael Fassbender does a spectacular job portraying a robot, and Charlize Theron plays an enigmatic power-hungry woman very well. Idris Elba is also in this and convinced me to love him. He’s just an adorable character and does a lot with the small role he was given.

There were a ton of themes in this movie, and I’m not going to go through all of them. The one that struck me most was how sometimes bad things happen for no real reason. Sometimes people who never smoke get lung cancer. And in the same way, sometimes a terrifying SOMETHING can get you without you doing anything to provoke it.

Another main theme was how people will do anything to answer the questions they seek. Now, as a Christian myself, I understand that desire. To know where we came from. What happens to us when we die? Who is in charge? People have this inherent curiosity about our origins, and sometimes we’ll make dumb choices to find out. That is, after all, why they named this Prometheus. It’s all about learning the origins of our species and seeking knowledge from our creators.

I enjoyed this movie. It was filled with suspense. It wasn’t disgusting, it wasn’t filled with action… but it had enough violence and great facial-acting to keep me interested.

Highlights:
  • Seamless CGI
  • A-list cast of talented actors
  • Robots
  • Timeless story told in a pretty refreshing way
  • Ridley Scott!
  • Those you’d think would die, didn’t right away. 

Lowlights:
  • Some people thought there were a lot of unanswered questions
  • A lot of deleted scenes that may have helped clarify some points
  • Not much ‘alien,’ more ‘space beings’

My Verdict:
8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment