Wednesday 16 January 2013

Thought of the Day

Why do people seem to think things are 'better' if they're bought at full price?

I know a few people who do this. I know this is more the exception than the rule, but I find it very odd when people avoid sale racks or sections.

And for some reason, I was like that too. It didn't last long (it was when I first became a teenager), but at the time I thought things were just crappier if they went on sale. I believed that only the highest quality stuff was full priced, so I'd never even check out the sale sections.

Oddly enough, some of those people never broke that habit. There are a few friends I regularly shop with that never go into the 'back section' of stores. I'm not sure if they have the impression that everything back there is broken, damaged, flawed, or out of season. Regardless of why they don't go back there, they're missing out.

Yes, if you care about current in-season merchandise, then the sale section isn't for you. But if you care that much about being fashionable and up to date, then you probably shouldn't be shopping with me.

I am all about things that last. I love a deal, and I love finding stuff on sale. It gives me a rush to know I've saved money.

So when we wander into a store and the entire place is on sale, my eyes light up. My friend? Her eyes and her feet head straight to the door. There's nothing more nightmarish to her than holding a bag with the big bad 'SALE' word plastered on it. As if it's a sign to the entire world that she isn't wealthy enough to afford full-priced items.

Why can't we be excited to save a few bucks? Those bucks add up, and if you really think about it... stores have to get rid of older merchandise. Most people have no idea if the shoes you're wearing are from a year ago or 5. And no, I don't care to know how much you spent on that (unless it was really cheap, in which case WHERE did you get it!), so please leave it to yourself.

So if I'm dragged into another store where nothing is on sale and I notice this strange sadistic smile on your face? When you shell out tons of money for something I figure I could find for half the price? I die a little bit inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment