Friday 25 January 2013

Trying to Adopt a Kitty

For the last year or so I've felt the urge to adopt a pet.

I have always loved animals (at least for as long as I can consciously remember). I have always had friends with animals, but only had a cat for a while when I was about 7 years old.

So now, being much older, I really want a cat. Or specifically, a kitty.

Man. They're tough to find.

For one thing, everyone wants kittens. It seems that people want the cute and cuddly young things with their eyes as big as plates in their heads. So most of the time when I look at the SPCA website or at other shelters, all the kittens get adopted within two days of being posted.

No one seems to want black cats. I don't really get it. Is this superstition? Cats are colourblind, can't we be as nondiscriminatory as them?
How is this not cute.
Anyway, my hunt continues. Of course my parents can be picky too. My mom doesn't want a black cat, we both don't want long haired cats, she wants a tabby, she wants one about 5 months old (specific enough?), and of course she wants one that's never been sick or injured.

These are rescue cats! They've been injured (maybe only emotionally) before. Regardless of how picky my mother seems to be, I am bent on getting a rescue. I don't believe in buying $800 cats when there are cats out there in need of a home. Those purebred pets aren't desperately seeking a home, they'll do fine. It's the strays, abandoned, and abused animals that I want to adopt.

So the hunt continues, with my long list of requirements. I'm hoping that one day everyone can adopt a pet if they're able. Animals really are a balm for the soul on rainy days.

No comments:

Post a Comment