Friday 1 February 2013

App Review: Candy Crush

So my friend recently recommended this game to me. But it's very rare that I get a recommendation that comes with a word of caution beforehand.

I love this game. It's addictive, simple, fun, but there are downsides.

Firstly Candy Crush is basically Bejeweled. You match up 3 of the same colour, and get bonuses if you match more than 3.

The first few levels are simple and very easy. But then you advance and realize that some are bloody well difficult. As in you have to retry, retry, quit and be frustrated for a while, retry, retry, and then finally succeed.

What really frustrates me (and many other users of Apps) is when games are nearly impossible to play unless you purchase something in-game. To put it bluntly: they make it impossible to pass certain levels unless you pay money for cheats/bonuses/extra lives/etc.

I really don't think this is fair. And yes, I know life isn't fair. I know Apps need to make money somehow. But the issue I have is that they get you completely hooked and then tell you it's going to cost you the big bucks if you want to keep playing. I'm not a cocaine addict. I can't just buy more coke any time I feel like I need another hit of Candy.


I have more self-control than a lot of people. I'm not rushing to the App store to purchase these bonuses. I can survive a day without playing. But that's not the point, is it? You market this game as free. It's got a billion great ratings (because yes, it is wonderfully fun). But it's limited in that I can pretty much only 'retry' levels 5 times before having to wait a period for 'more lives.'

I wish that free really meant free. I wish I didn't have to grimace every time I hear of another young kid fooled into spending the big bucks on Apps.


Having said that, I'm not boycotting this game at all. I'll just wait the next half hour out... until I have enough levels to play again.

No comments:

Post a Comment