Tuesday 19 February 2013

Thought of the Day

Why can't we treat people the way we treat our pets?

We spoil our kitties and puppies with treats, toys, walks, cuddles, and love. But we can't open doors for people coming up behind us?

I find this hypocritical and absurd.

Homelessness in people about matches the number of homeless animals. No, I don't have a statistic to match that. But I live in a metropolitan city. I see homeless youth just as much as I see homeless animals. Most countries I've visited have a high population of cats and dogs, as well as teens that have runaway.

Why is it we tell kids to get jobs? We should tell strays to be cuter so someone'll take them home.

There are thousands of adoptions from the SPCA annually. How many kids are adopted? Yes, I understand a kid lives longer than an animal, but they're not that much more work than adopting a dog. And dogs will love you unconditionally, forever. Kids won't. At least, most of the time they'll go through a stage or two.

So if we're so kind and charitable to these furry friends, why can't we stop and say hi to strangers in the street? Without the fear or rape or burglary? Maybe one day we'll realize that people need food and shelter and love just as much (if not more) than our animal counterparts.

Share the love!

No comments:

Post a Comment