Wednesday 20 February 2013

Thought of the Day

I am the exception that I still keep in touch with all my old friends.

From the group that I hung out with in Elementary School, I still see about 4-5 of them regularly. Regularly as in about once a month.

From the group that I hung out with in High School, I still see about 5-6 of them regularly. As in about once a month.

From my University friends, I see them a little less (they've all gone onto Law School, Med School, etcetera).

The point I am trying to make is that what they said in High School WAS WRONG. They told me that the friends you made in High School would fade away, like the friends in Elementary School. They'd move on, forget about you, and move onto bigger and better things.

That wasn't the case for me, and I am so proud of myself. But not in the silly prideful way. As in I'm glad and grateful that I still have friends who live near me who want to see and hang out with me.

Yes, friends move away. Yes, they start having families and boyfriends and they seem to fade from the face of the earth for a bit. But there will always be those close few who never disappear, they promise to stay in touch, and they keep these promises.

I still remember in Elementary School... being way too young to understand what it actually meant, my friends and I made a pact. We've kept it. We promised to always be best friends. We promised to always keep in touch. We promised to always believe in God, we promised to not do drugs, and not to have sex before marriage. It was silly and naive, but we've stuck as close to the original pact as we could. The point I'm trying to make is that with EFFORT and COMMITMENT, anyone can retain friendships.

It is a two way street. I can't expect my friends to want to hang out with me if I never call them and set up a hangout. The world doesn't work on assumptions. We need words and actions to solidify our intentions.

This isn't to say I haven't lost friends along the way. But know that they were lost after many hours of searching. Some people just don't want to be found, and that's okay. But I'll never forget a single friend I've had... that's the way a sentimental heart works. And speaking of my sentimental heart, I thank God every day that I have such great friends that know the worth of promises, and effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment