Thursday 7 February 2013

Rant of the Day

When I was growing up I walked home from school. I wasn't afraid of pervs or stalkers. It isn't because they didn't exist (let's be honest there's been creeps since the dawn of time, it's just that media coverage and exposure has made them seem more prevalent now), but instead because my parents trusted me not to be a pussy.

If some weirdo guy came up to me and offered me candy? Kick in the balls.
An unmarked van pulls up and tells me he's a friend of my mom's? I'll scream.
Dude in a trenchcoat flashes me? I'll yank it right off.

Those are things my mom taught me. Not to be afraid. Not to just stand there and take it. To always ask questions. To scream as soon as I feel that instinctual fear or uncertainty.

Didn't matter if it was a strange woman who said Mommy dearest couldn't come get me today, please come with me instead. Woman or man, I'll scream.

No, I didn't scream much as a kid. Because I can discern danger from safety. Plus kids are fast. I could run. I could flail. I'm not some useless ball of jailbait for whichever loser wants a shot.

So parents. Really. Teach your kids to defend themselves. You don't need to show up at 2:45pm every single school day and walk your kids home. Hand in hand. Checking over your shoulder. Your kid isn't defenseless. But you're encouraging them to rely and depend on you. Mommy or Daddy will always come to their rescue, right?

Teach your kids to grow up, grow a pair, and to kick ass and scream if they have to. In high school I walked 45 minutes from school to home every day. And know what? I've never been molested or kidnapped. Because I was taught not to be a victim.

Perv snatches me? I can still scream and kick.
Perv blindfolds me? I can still bite.
Covers my mouth? I'll bite harder. Don't forget my legs, those are vicious.
Shoves me into a van? I will flail and roll around and punch my fists every which way. I will not go easy. Whether I'm 5, 15, or 25.

Don't forget our natural weapons. Our voices and our hands. It isn't a leash and someone's hand to hold on the way home.

No comments:

Post a Comment