Tuesday 3 January 2012

Pet Peeve of the Day


Holiday drivers. Or Sunday drivers. Whatever people call them… they’re basically those people who don’t drive pretty much anytime, but when they do go out in a car, they cause complete mayhem.

Beyond any racial stereotypes that many people could easily go into, or sexist jokes… anyone can be a Sunday or holiday driver. If you don’t drive regularly, or you are hugely uncomfortable with driving, you may be a holiday driver.

You hibernate 10 months of the year, and only come out to get supplies three-four times a year.

These are the same people who slow down on highways for no reason, those turning without signaling, those who jump curbs and take up two parking spots in the lot.


I’ve always had a vexation toward bad drivers… but they’re so hard to define that it’s difficult to pinpoint my issue with them.

Granted, I know I am not a great driver. I am cautious and careful, but I can also get aggressive and like to drive fast. However, knowing my driving skill, I’m not going to parallel park if I don’t have to. Because I know my limits.

Ideally I’d practice and get better, so I could parallel park. But, I’d practice in an empty parking lot with boxes or cones. I’d practice during off hours in a dead neighborhood. I wouldn’t choose rush hour to park in a mall during December’s Boxing week. If I was Queen I would suggest that (if you know you’re a poor driver) you stay indoors, hire a driver, get a friend/relative to drive you, bike, take the bus, wait until rush hour is over, go to a store a little further away from major metropolis areas…
My father has always told me that, ‘you can do everything right and perfectly, but it won’t stop a bad driver from slamming into you.’ And I totally agree. Anyone can be super cautious and drive like they’re on their driver’s test, but that doesn’t guarantee safety.

Be careful out there people. Watch out for others as much as you watch for yourself – these are the people who could injure others – our streets are only as safe as our worst driver.

No comments:

Post a Comment