Sunday 20 November 2011

Movie Review: Bellflower (2011)


Rating: R
IMDB rating: 6.2/10

I’ve been interested in this movie ever since I first saw the trailer. This movie premiered at Sundance in January 2011, and got wide release as of August 2011, so it’s been out for a long while.

First off, from what I’ve seen from the IMDB message boards, this is a film you either love or hate.

I really dug this movie. It’s labeled as being an Action, Drama, and Romance movie. I think this is definitely catered toward a male audience, but there’s cinematic merit for the ladies too. The synopsis according to the interweb:

"Two friends spend all their free time building flame-throwers and weapons of mass destruction in hopes that a global apocalypse will occur and clear the runway for their imaginary gang 'Mother Medusa'."

Yeah, that sums up a little bit of the film… the big part they’re missing is the romance aspect. A girl gets involved (of course) and throughout the duration of the film you see the effects she has on these two friends (very typical plot). She really messes with the men, the way women so often do.

There is a bit of violence. Not as much as Drive, or the Immortals… but the violence that there is, is very realistic. It isn’t like seeing someone chopping someone else’s head off, but it is like seeing fist fights and gashes that a real person would get in a brawl. 

Yes, he's got a bit 'o blood on him

There is female nudity. Full frontal, and for more than a few seconds. But not in the expected way… I didn’t even think I’d see nudity at all until suddenly there were breasts right up on the screen. I won’t say whether the nudity is done tastefully or isn’t, because the moment in the film when nudity occurs is questionable in morality as it is.

I watched this with Shawn and he mentioned how this is similar to a modern day Fight Club. I, of course, being the cynic, adamantly denied that ANY movie could even come close to Fight Club (it being one of my favourite films of all time). However, after seeing Bellflower, I definitely see similar themes.

This movie plays with the ideas of reality, alternate endings, destruction, and friendship/heartache.

Just like in Fight Club, you see the damage that one seemingly harmless female can wreck on a pair of friends. You see how delicate a balance of friendship and relationships is, and how easily things can get out of hand.

Highlights:
·      This film looks good. It has a grainy, dream-like appearance. Everything seems to have a grey or green/brown cast over it.

Kind of a 'hardcore' film... kind of

·      The acting is very convincing. The director and producer is also a main cast member, so he’s really got a hand in his project. I especially like seeing male-male interactions on screen, and this particular one was enjoyable to watch.

Lowlights:
·      It doesn’t make sense. Now, this is usually a positive for me. I like movies where my brain has to work a little bit. But since I also sometimes enjoy just zombie-sitting on my couch and letting the narrative tell me what to think, I’ll admit that this storyline is possibly irritating. Nearing the end of the film the audience is definitely left questioning exactly what the hell is happening.
·      Slow to build up. A little bit slow, but the second half of the movie makes up for ‘lack of action’ during the beginning.


My verdict: 
For me it was probably near a 8/10. Not a date movie, but if you enjoy action and some confusing endings, this may be for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment