Tuesday 29 November 2011

Movie Review: Lucky (2011)


Rating: R
IMDB Rating: 5.3/10

I saw the trailer for this months ago, long enough ago that I had forgotten all about it until Shawn was going through all the movies he wanted to watch and the name Lucky popped up. It’s labeled as a comedy, but really it is more satire/dark comedy. 

 This stars Colin Hanks and Ari Graynor. I must agree with what most people say about Colin Hanks: he always has that dopey meek look on his face. I’m told he looks just as pathetic and shy as a killer on Dexter (no, I haven’t followed past season 1 of Dexter so I can’t say for myself). But that characteristic of his is very fitting for this role. He is supposed to look unassuming. 


The plot according to IMDB:
A wannabe serial killer wins the lottery and pursues his lifelong crush.”

Close, IMDB, close. More like ‘a serial killer wins the lottery by a murderous accident and his lifelong crush pursues him for all the wrong reasons.’

It is definitely a quirky movie. There’s no nudity, minimal cursing, and not that much violence. Yes, he kills people, but not in an overtly aggressive way. More in an apologetic way.

Shawn noticed how throughout the movie he felt as if something was off. Just off. Not sure if it is the directing, or the filming, the acting, or what, but the theme and the execution didn’t seem to match perfectly.

I enjoyed it for what it was: a silly, fun, quirky film about absolutely absurd things that happen to absurd people.

Ari Graynor was cute, but not quite as cute as I think she was trying to be. I didn’t even remember she was in a ton of other movies that I’ve seen. Not too memorable on her part.

Highlights:
·      Fun and quirky
·      Satirical 

Lowlights:
·      Odd production
·      Not much character development

My verdict:
I liked it! I thought it deserved much higher than what it got on IMDB... but many people just didn't see the charm that I did. It isn't all that deep, nor violent, nor meaningful, but it's a nice movie. There you have it. 'Movie,' not a 'film.' 7.6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment