Saturday 26 November 2011

Whatever Happened to... Red Earth Cosmetics?


They used to sell a brand called Red Earth in Esprit stores. I remember because in grade 8 and 9 it was the only brand of makeup I used, and I got their individual eyeshadow pots for $4 a piece during a boxing day sale.

Then Esprit stopped carrying Red Earth, and Red Earth was sold exclusively in Shoppers Drug Mart stores in Canada.

Whenever I travelled to Asia I’d go into their standalone stores and stock up, but let’s be honest… how often can one possibly go to Asia!

Now Shoppers Drug Mart has stopped carrying them, and their website has been ‘renovating’ for over a year. I know because I check back often.

They still have stores in Australia (where the brand is from) but I’m not travelling halfway around the world for it anytime soon.

I miss Red Earth! They had amazing quality products.


Their cream eyeshadow. A hit! I loved these before even knowing what I was loving. I think this was before the huge cream eyeshadow phase.
I had about 3 lipglosses from them, but only one still left (clear one).
My FIRST EVER eyeshadow was from Red Earth. And I still have it. Why, you may wonder, would I possibly keep my first ever product? Firstly, because I rarely ever use this shade so I couldn’t bear to throw it out. Secondly, for sentimental reasons. They’re amazingly pigmented, have very little fallout, and pretty affordable.

Out of all the mascaras I’ve ever tried, I’ve never been able to get the results I got with their mascara. I kept the tube (all dried out though) so that I can bring the wand with me into stores to try and replicate my results.

I actually got this mascara as a sample when I was in their standalone store in Hong Kong. I never thought I’d fall so completely in love. It isn’t a black mascara, it is a medium brown shade. It fans out my lashes, doesn’t clump at all, and holds a curl. It is quite a natural look, but that’s what I love about it. It gives amazing length without looking like I’m wearing mascara.

I just opened this about a month ago, because I had it sealed and in storage (I just can’t stand running out of beloved products). It is a glittery black-gold liquid liner. I wish there were more products like this available. What’s so unique about this, is that after it dries on your eyes it does not move. But when you want to remove it, all you do is swipe it off and it comes off in little ‘pieces.’ Essentially, it remains in a strip-like line as you remove it, instead of turning into tiny little liner fragments that smudge all over. 

A felt tip eyeliner from Red Earth, totally dried out. Why I keep these things, I just don't know.
Another hit is their nail polishes. Oh my gosh why did they get rid of Red Earth here in Canada! My cousin brought these over from Asia when he visited, knowing how much I love nail polishes. These are the only colours I have left that haven’t been totally used up. 

I've got to get my hands on more!

No comments:

Post a Comment