Tuesday 22 November 2011

Movie Review: Our Idiot Brother (2011)


Rating: R
IMDB Rating: 6.7/10
I’m not a huge fan of comedies. I will order them on Shaw on Demand or something for about $6, but I shudder to think of myself paying $12 for a comedy every time in theatres.
I am, however, a huge fan of Zooey Deschanel. I’ve watched every single movie she’s been in, and I think she’s absolutely adorable/sexy/talented/cute/beautiful. 

So of course when this came out, I decided to go see it!
I also like Elizabeth Banks, I find her face very stunning.
The synopsis according to IMDB:
“A comedy centered on an idealist who barges into the lives of his three sisters.”

I thought this movie was OKAY. Average. I found Bridesmaids hilarious, but haven’t found a movie quite as cry-your-eyes-out-funny since then. This wasn’t near the hilarity level of Bridesmaids.
Firstly, I found the female characters quite irritating. That isn’t due to acting; it’s just the way the characters were written. They spent most of the movie complaining about Paul Rudd’s character, and generally being negative and bad sisters to him.
Paul Rudd is, as usual, a good-humoured, happy, hippy guy. He’s just trying to get through his life without screwing up too much… trying to help out as many people as possible while being positive.
Obviously most of the movie is about how he messes up the lives of others without really meaning to.

Highlights:
  • Zooey Deschanel. Clearly.
  • Great cast. The acting is good, and convincing. Good LOOKING cast too, geez.
  • Quite a few laughs
Lowlights:
  • Most of the humour comes from dramatic irony. We know something’s going to go wrong far before any other character does. That leaves the audience predicting disasters. I don’t think any movie should have the audience just waiting for the next character screw-up to happen.
  • The female characters are all petty, PMS-ing, and constantly blame the wrong person for their troubles. That enrages me; I can’t stand when people don’t understand the causes to their situations.
My verdict:
I’m glad I saw it, but I won’t see it ever again. There are better comedies that leave me consistently laughing. I’d give it a 6.5/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment