Friday 2 December 2011

Best and Worst Movies of 2011 Part 1

I love movies. Always have. I took Media and Film electives in high school, and took several film classes in University. I have a profound respect and appreciation for film. Granted, I do enjoy brainless action movies every now and then. So of course I wanted to have a review of what I’ve seen this year.

I counted and I have seen approximately 63 movies in 2011. That’s less than last year at least! :P

I want to do a quick overview of my top movies of 2011, and the worst movies I saw in 2011. These are in no particular order, but I’d watch any of the movies on my ‘Best’ list again, whereas I’d prefer to never have seen the movies on my ‘Worst’ list.

I’m going to do a series, because I don’t want any one post to be too long. So each few days I’ll post a few of my favourites and a few of the worst, and maybe some honourable mentions… I'll likely do about 5 for each category...

Best Movies of 2011:

1.   Red State starring Michael Parks and John Goodman
Violent, extreme, ridiculous, and religious. It was intense to watch, irritating, but importantly it sparked discussion. 

2.   Drive starring Ryan Gosling and Carey Mulligan
I was surprised that I liked this film. The soundtrack was fantastic, and though it was a very ‘quiet’ film (Mr. Gosling rarely speaks) it was filmed grandly. Some moments of intense violence.

3.   Rise of the Planet of the Apes starring James Franco
Just a good action science-fiction film. I love the rest of the Apes movies, so I had to watch this. 

4.   Friends with Benefits starring Justin Timberlake and Mila Kunis
I was also surpised that I liked this. The dynamics between Timberlake and Kunis was incredible and very believable. I had some good laughs. 

5.   Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 starring Daniel Radcliffe, Rupert Grint, and Emma Watson
Good action movie. Must see, if you want to be involved in any pop culture for the next 5 years. 

Worst Movies of 2011:

1.   The Adjustment Bureau starring Matt Damon and Emily Blunt
I wanted to love this. Why was the plot so weak and the execution so poor? Just such a trivial storyline and very predictable. Which is the opposite of what the Adjustment Bureau was supposed to be. 

2.   Battle: Los Angeles starring Aaron Eckhart and Michelle Rodriguez
My main complaint is one many of my friends agreed with: the whole movie was too misty/smoggy/foggy/dusty. It was impossible to see most of the action sequences, and the action sequences were few and far between. 

3.   Priest starring Paul Bettany and Cam Gigandet
There’s brainless action movies, and then there are brainless, pointless, incomprehensible action movies. 

4.   Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides starring Johnny Depp, Geoffrey Rush, and Penelope Cruz
Such a weak storyline and weak development compared to the other three pirate movies. It felt contrived - as if the directors knew they had to keep up the franchise, so they just pumped out another story - too weak to legitimately be considered part of the Pirates franchise. 

5.   Green Lantern starring Ryan Reynolds and Blake Lively
This was terrible. Possibly the worst movie of the year in my opinion. The CGI was notably bad (and the key is that it was noticeable that it was CGI) the acting was cheesy and dialogue was weak, and the romantic dynamic between the stars was negligible.

No comments:

Post a Comment