Thursday 15 December 2011

Restaurant Review: King Mongolian Grill


Last night my food-adventurous friend and I decided to go try some Mongolian grill.

I’ve had Mongolian grill type of food once in my entire life, when I was like 10 years old. That was well over a decade ago so it was high time I tried it again!

Unfortunately there aren’t too many Mongolian type restaurants in the GVRD, so we opted to go to one in Port Coquitlam that got pretty good ratings online. It is located at 2564 Shaughnessy Street.

I think this is an old poster, the picture I took last night was way too blurry... but you get the idea.
The basic premise of Mongolian Grill is that you choose what ingredients you want, and then they cook it for you. So you usually get an assortment of noodles, a ton of veggies, meats, and a plethora of sauces.


The restaurant we went to had all you can eat for $12.99, or one single bowl-portion for $9.99… so we figured it would be more worth it to go for all you can eat (granted, after looking at how much one bowl really was, I was totally stuffed after two bowls).

Everyone gets one spring roll, a soup, rice, and rice-chips. The spring rolls are vegetarian and OKAY… nothing that special about them. The soup was interesting; it had a sweet tangy taste to it. I liked it, but my friend didn’t. I didn’t touch my rice because of how much other food I had, but my friend finished hers so I’m sure it was fine. The rice-chips are fried in animal oils so my vegetarian friend didn’t have any, but they were good: crispy and not too oily. 


The food itself? Well I mean it’s really up to you how good you make it taste… I chose teriyaki, sesame, and peanut sauces the first time, and the second I had teriyaki, peanut, soy, and sweet sauces the second time.

The food was cooked VERY promptly. There was a guy just standing there waiting to cook for you! When we first arrived we were one of three tables in the restaurant (which is not that big), but by the time we were on our second helpings the restaurant was full… despite this, they still cooked our food quickly and we didn’t have to wait long. 

It always looks like more food after its cooked than in the 'uncooked' stage
It was delicious! No stomachaches, no issues at all. The lady who worked there was super friendly and attentive, and refilled my water when it got half full.

Definitely will go back, and will be bringing hungry people who love buffets.
8.5/10

1 comment: