Thursday 8 December 2011

My Favourite... Comedy Sitcoms


Every Thursday for the past 5 years or so have been dedicated to comedies. I love sitcoms, but not all of them are gems. Some of my favourites include:

The Office
IMDB describes the Office as “A mockumentary on a group of typical office workers, where the workday consists of ego clashes, inappropriate behavior, and tedium.”

I love the Office and have been following it since it first aired back in 2005. I wasn’t a fan of the UK version (I always find UK humour a bit too crass and crude for my personal taste) but I adore the characterization and slapstick humour of the US version. I know a lot of people have leaped off the bandwagon after Steve Carell left the Office, but there’s a very easy way to look at it. Pretend it’s a different show! And really, it totally is. The humour is similar, but so much of the charm and comedy has shifted. The characters are well written, and there’s definitely developing storylines.

Parks and Recreation
Described as, “the absurd antics of an Indiana town's public officials as they pursue sundry projects to make their city a better place.” 

I discovered this when it took the Office’s regular 9pm slot. Since then I’ve borrowed all the DVDs and watched (and rewatched) every episode. I think the issue with Parks and Rec is that the style and plot is too much like the Office (very noticeable in the first season). However, starting in the second season Parks and Rec really comes into their own. Originally Parks and Rec was intended as a type of spin-off to the Office, but after the show’s initial success the show’s producers decided to let Parks and Rec go its very own direction. It has definitely flourished. It still has a similar character (Leslie Knope is similar to Michael Scott in that they both want to be the best boss ever, but many things get in their way) but the way the protagonists deal with troubles are entirely different. Compared to most other comedy sitcoms out there I get way more laugh-out-loud moments with this show than any other. I’ve cried a few times, I’ll admit…

It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia
“Four young friends with big egos and slightly arrogant attitudes are the proprietors of an Irish bar in Philadelphia”

I think everyone should give this show a shot. Just give it a chance. It is so rude, so crude, so arrogant, so racist and inappropriate… but so charming, hilarious, witty, and socially conscious. If you are easily offended then skip this. Don’t even flip by this show. However, if you like a bit of testy subject matter and quirky group dynamics, this may be the thing for you. This is a louder show, with lots of obscenities and cussing. If you’re wondering what Danny DeVito has been up to, he’s been on this show since its second season. Mr. DeVito has never been a more hated but wonderful actor, in my opinion. He really lets himself go in his role on this show.

No comments:

Post a Comment