Sunday 4 December 2011

Best and Worst Movies of 2011 Part 2


Moving onto the next part of my list, another 5 movies that I’d consider the best and the worst of 2011…

Best Movies of 2011:

6.     Super 8 starring Joel Courtney, Elle Fanning, Kyle Chandler Gabriel Basso, Noa Emmerich, Ron Eldard, Riley Griffiths, Ryan Lee, and Zach Mills
This was excellent. I shot once or twice using Super 8 film (before they stopped making it, SMUCKS) so without even knowing what this was about I was already interested by the title. However after seeing it, I loved it. A combination of The Goonies and any good monster/alien movie. 

7.     Bridesmaids starring Kristen Wiig, Jon Hamm, Maya Rudolph, and Rose Bryne
Hilarious. Crude. Ridiculous. 

8.     Hanna starring Saoirse Ronan and Cate Blanchette
Another fantastic soundtrack on this one. Very anticipatory movie, very suspenseful, and the filmmakers definitely have you rooting for the right team. A very ‘cool-looking’ movie. Plus I think Saoirse Ronan is badass and will be amazing in years to come.

9.     The King’s Speech starring Colin Firth and Geoffrey Rush
Excellent drama movie. Great acting. 

10. Super starring Rainn Wilson and Ellen Page
Funny, saddening, violent, and poignant.

Worst Movies of 2011:

6.     Bad Teacher starring Cameron Diaz, Jason Segal, and Justin Timberlake
Not funny to me at all. Plus I do not think Cameron Diaz can act. With maybe the exception of Vanilla Sky. 

7.    Cars 2
I wanted to like this. But they just crammed way too much into this film. Suddenly cars could fly, they were spies, they were across the world in a different country… they were adding new characters to an old crew, switching from location to location… I just couldn’t stay interested. Too ambitious. Plus, the first Cars movie was so terrific that this just doesn’t come close. 

8.     The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 1 starring Kristen Stewart and Robert Pattinson
This bored me to tears. I watched it because I knew that people will be talking about it and I like staying on top of movies. However, I could have lived my entire life not having seen this and be satisfied. I find Stewart to be cold, distant, and the same can be said of her acting. I understand that could be characterization, but it made for slow and boring movie-watching. Plus there wasn’t much action until the last 20 minutes of the movie. 

9.     Immortals starring Henry Cavill
Brainless action movie. Actually not that bad, but I would have preferred LESS CGI. Is that a reasonable request? Sometimes I want things to look remotely realistic, less muscular, less ‘glowy’ and more human. The whole thing was just too fake. I understand they wanted to create a different time, but it looked like they were on a different planet. 

10. Arthur starring Russell Brand, Helen Mirren, and Jennifer Garner
I only hated this because of how terribly it compared to the original. I think Russell Brand is funny, but I also think he is terribly obnoxious and difficult to stomach a lot of the time. He didn’t channel his charm much for this film, but entirely capitalized on his swagger and haughty demeanor. Pass.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment