Thursday 29 December 2011

Movie Review: The Adventures of Tintin (2011)


Rating: PG
IMDB Rating: 7.8/10

Seems like I’m watching a lot of movies this holiday season… but it can’t be helped. It’s cold outside, people love movies, and it’s a convenient and fun thing to spend some time doing.

So today I went out to see the Adventure of Tintin with two of my friends.
The plot according to IMDB: “Tintin and Captain Haddock set off on a treasure hunt for a sunken ship commanded by Haddock's ancestor. But someone else is in search of the ship.”

Now I have seen some of Tintin’s original series, and found it quite cute. I was curious to see how this one panned out.

Firstly, the theatre was packed and full of children. Two kids left crying after the first half hour. I think this movie should probably be bumped up to a PG-13 rating, just because there is a bit more fist-fighting and gun-fights than expected. 


Frankly, I found this an extremely stressful movie. I kept thinking about all the tense action scenes and the wrecks they would leave in their wake. I’m sure I would have found it much more gripping as a child. For my desensitized eyes, a lot of it seemed overdone. 


I enjoyed the CGI/special effects of the film… I did see it in 3D (sometimes they don’t even offer certain movies in regular 2D anymore!) against my best wishes. I find 3D rather tedious to watch… the glasses slip down the slight bridge of my nose and I find that unless I find the perfect angle in which to view the movie, it is slightly blurred. Also, specifically for this film, it didn't seem like 3D was necessary. There weren't any moments when I was like 'oh, they did that just to impress us with the 3D,' in fact... I only noticed about 3 times when I even remembered I was watching 3D.

Regardless, it is a good movie. It is very much like Indiana Jones for children. Actually, that’s pretty much exactly what it is.

Highlights:
·      Action-packed

Lowlights:
·      No real acting
·      A bit long
·      A touch violent for younger children
·      Accented characters made for chopping comprehension at times (just me probably)

My Verdict:
I enjoyed it, but won’t be watching it again unless my parents rent it and I happen to be around. It had tons of action but was a bit long compared to other children’s movies (107 minutes). 7.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment